Most of you participating in the Nutrition Challenge most likely are safe from the following ingredients, but it’s good to be mindful of these anyway. Especially if you end up re-introducing foods, you’ll want to read the labels to make sure you’re not ingesting any of the below preservatives. This article from World Truth lists 10 common chemicals used to prolong shelf life of most processed foods and how these “toxins deprive human cells of oxygen and rob them of nutrients, thus leading to cell mutation and the perfect breeding ground for cancer.”
- Sodium Benzoate: According to Wikipedia, sodium benzoate is “most widely used in acidic foods such as salad dressings, carbonated drinks, jams and fruit juices, pickles, and condiments. It is also used as a preservative in medicines and cosmetics.” While the doses are low in each of these foods, no studies have been done to measure the dangers of the sodium benzoate doses when ingesting many of these foods together on a daily basis. An average meal of salad, soda, and burger with the fixings can get you a higher dose than you bargained for.
- Canola Oil: Most canola oil is genetically modified care of Monsanto and undergoes A LOT of processing and the result is a frankenstein polyunsaturated fat that really offsets your Omega 3:6 ratio.
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG): used as a flavor enhancer in most asian foods, MSG is an excitotoxin, and according to one neurosurgeon, “it overexcites your cells to the point of damage or death, causing brain damage to varying degrees — and potentially even triggering or worsening learning disabilities, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Lou Gehrig’s disease and more.” What’s worse, the FDA allows 20 psuedo names for MSG. Yeast extract, free glutamate, glutamic acid, soy lecithin, calcium caseinate, hydrolyzed corn, hydrolyzed soy protein, and maltodextrin all contain MSG, but you may not see it on the label.
- Sodium Nitrates: Found in most bacon and processed meats, it prevents hemoglobin molecules in your blood from carrying oxygen to your body tissues. Read more about it on Mark’s Daily Apple.
- Anti-Caking Agents: Found in pre-grated cheese among other things, these phosphate, carbonate, silicate and oxide compounds contain aluminum, which has been linked to Alzheimer’s.
The last 5 toxins in the article are margarine, anti-foaming agents, artificial colorings, emulsifiers, and artificial sweeteners. You can read more about them in the original article, or click on each for links to more information. The take home of this post is not that these above ingredients will undoubtably cause cellular damage or cancer, but for you all to do your own research and decide for yourself when you read food labels.
Mark’s Daily Apple
Whole 9 Life
Back Squat 3×5 or Wendler
8 Hang (Squat) Cleans (135/95)
1 Rope Climb