We wrapped up the 2013 CrossFit Open workouts last Friday. From some of the grumbles I heard in the gym, many of you weren’t sad that the Open was ending. After I finish a major event like this, I like to reflect on how it went, if I met my goals, etc. Since this is where the 2013 CrossFit Games season ends for all of us, I think it’s an appropriate time to reflect. I’ll share my reflections/opinions below and then I encourage all of you to share your reflections as well.
1. I improved on all workouts this year vs 2012, so I’ve made progress in the last year.
2. I need to get much stronger!
3. Next year I hope to see more creativity in WODs so we’re not seeing the same movements in the Open every year so people feel encouraged to broaden their skillset.
4. The burpee workout was brutal, but I really liked that they combined the burpee and snatch workouts from 2012.
5. I did a great job with pre-WOD mobility, but I need to do a better job with mobility work after doing the Open WODs to avoid getting too tight after the high intensity workouts. This negatively affected my training as it took me longer to recover from the workouts.
6. My box jumps leave something to be desired, I need to work on my ability to rebound off the ground and keep my rests to the top of the box.
7. I need to improve my efficiency in workouts and work to maintain more perfect form even when I’m exhausted.
8. This year 150 wall balls didn’t seem as evil as last year.
9. I would love to see Intrepid put together a team for the Open next year, it’s easier to be motivated when you have other people counting on you.
10. Fran still destroys me more than any other workout, and Infinity Fran is just cruel!
Now I’d like to hear from all of you. What did you think of Dave Castro’s programming? Did you wish you signed up for the Open or do you regret signing up? Did you get a little competitive push doing the workouts knowing so many other people in the world were attempting the same WOD? Did the workouts reveal a weakness that you hadn’t identified previously? If you’ve done previous Open WODs, did you improve in the last year? Did you PR? Do you have any new goals now that it’s over? Is there anything more you’d like from your trainers in preparation for the Open? Post your reflections to the comments!
1 Arm Handstands