3-4# chuck roast. Or any fatty cut like beef rib or brisket as Chef David recommended.
3-4 tablespoons of the Love Rub* recipe below + 1T of chile moldilo (sp?) a New Mexico chile
1 large onion
2 red bell peppers
4-5 cloves of garlic, depending on taste
3 serrano chiles, 2 seeded and 1 whole. Use 3 whole peppers for additional heat.
1 lrg jar of san marzano tomatoes. White wrapper/label.
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Take out all peppers and use half of them, save the remaining adobo sauce. Or, use all peppers for more heat
1 bottle of your favorite beer/red wine/beef broth whatever
2-3 tablespoons of honey
1-2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup of chile powder* Note: “NOT ALL POWDERS ARE CREATED EQUAL.” Before you throw it in, taste it. If it reminds you of pushing a prowler (or hell), use less. Some store bought chile powders are mild, some stupidly hot. Mine was mild-medium.
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons of coriander
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder
2 teaspoons thyme
– This makes a whole bunch of rub. Save it for just about anything.
1. Rub the roast with the love rub (use more if needed) and put into smoker @225 degrees for 1 hour. Apple and hickory wood. Take it out after 1 hour and cut into 1 inch pieces.
2. While the roast is smoking, dice the onion, bell pepper, and serrano chiles and garlic. Saute until aromatic and soft.
3. Add in the 1T of chile moldilo and saute til aromatic. Note: please try the chile first, too hot? Don’t add as much. Mine was fairly mild.
4. Dice half of the chipotle peppers in the can and throw them in with the onion mixture. Add in reserve adobo sauce.
5. Add in chopped roast
6. Add in 1 can san marzano tomatoes
7. Add in half the beer or equivalent of whatever liquid. Drink remaining alcohol
8. Add in the honey and worcestershire sauce
9. Cover and stir to prevent sticking. Cook time is 3-4 hours on low heat or until desired texture and consistency.
If there’s anything I forgot, I’ll be sure to adjust. I hope you enjoy! Thanks Anna and Brian for hosting us all!!!