Today is Ang’s birthday, and I’ve been looking forward to writing this post since she wrote one for me last year. Since Ang has been part of the Intrepid family for less than a year, here are some things you may not know about her:
1) Ang really loves sushi. It’s her favorite food, so much so that I call her a sushi crackhead. If she was in the middle of a workout and you asked if she wanted to go get sushi, she would probably drop whatever weight she had over head and walk out with you…even during the 6:30am class.
2) I mean, she REALLY loves sushi. After spending way too much money on sushi takeout during college, I finally convinced her to learn to make it herself. She picked it up almost immediately and now often makes delicious sushi dinners for the two of us.
3) You guys, I don’t think you understand: Freaking. Loves. Sushi. She is the only person I know who has said, “mmmm, that looks delicious” while watching ALL of the following: Deadliest Catch, Planet Earth – the Oceans Episode, and yes, even Finding Nemo.
4) Growing up her family spent summers in Newport, RI where she learned to sail. During high school, she became a sailing instructor and taught other kids.
5) Ang doesn’t know the words to any songs, but thinks she does. She loves singing along in the car and either mumbles or makes up completely non-sensical sentences when she forgets the actual words. Which is often.
6) Her family used to go on a lot of cruises when she was growing up. One time they were in Aruba and Ang was lying on the beach when a very large greased up muscular guy came up to her and started hitting on her. It was only when he finally turned and left that she realized he was wearing a thong speedo. Her parents and sister were in the ocean and saw it all happen and couldn’t stop laughing. Oh, and she was 14.
7) If we ever won the lottery, Ang’s dream would be to open up a vineyard that makes cheese and has a sushi restaurant. She would also be 400 pounds.
8) During college, Ang studied abroad in Paris and learned to speak enough French to be my tour guide when I went to come visit her. One of her favorite dinners was wine, a baguette, and brie. Not whole 30 approved.
9) Ang is both amazing and terrible at surprises. She’s planned some amazing birthday surprises for me in our years together, but gets so excited about how great of a surprise it is that she brags about it for weeks ahead of time. This results in her dropping little hints leading up to the big day that slowly giveaway the surprise.
10) Ang grew up in New York City in Manhattan and went to school in Boston (where we met). Once she was refused entry into a bar in Boston because the bouncer saw she was from New York and thought she was a Yankees fan.
11) Ang didn’t learn to drive until our senior year of college, and got her license just a few weeks before we graduated and drove across country to LA. She ended up getting sick just before we left and I drove every minute of it. This meant Ang’s main introduction to driving ended up being LA’s freeways.
12) Ang loves food (even the non-sushi kind) and keeps up with all of the blogs and knows all the hottest chefs. She created a “Foodventures” list of all the best restaurants in LA. We try to check one off every month or so. The list has grown to over 4 pages and includes New York, Hawaii, Chicago, Las Vegas, and more. If you ever need a restaurant recommendation, she’s your girl.
Happy birthday baby! You are the most caring, selfless person I know, you make me laugh everyday, and I love you very much! Now let’s go get some sushi.
Front Squat 3×3
100 Wall Ball Shots
Every Minute, On the Minute (EMOM)
Complete 6 Burpees
Complete 3 Wall Ball Shots
One athlete works while the other rests. You cannot continue the wall ball shots until the 6 burpees are done. During the EMOM, both partners may complete the burpees at the same time or one athlete can do them all.