We have a TWO part post today folks! First up, we have a sweet and loving post from Sam Rathburn for her dear hubby, Kevin. Followed by a “sweet and loving” roast for our dear “Mom”, Ruth.
Kevin R. has been at CrossFit for almost a year now. Last November we had just moved to LA and Kevin really wanted to start working out again. He started looking into CrossFit. I figured out which CrossFit he had liked best and I signed us up for the free class on his birthday. Happy Birthday Honey- We are working out today!!
Kevin loved it and began his CrossFit membership in January. It was so great to see him excited about CrossFit and hearing about the WODs even though I had no idea what he was talking about. In the summer, Kevin finally convinced me that I should do CrossFit too. I am so glad he did because I really enjoy it and I love that it is something we can do together. Now when he tells me about a WOD or what he did at the gym I know what he is talking about because I did it too!
Here are 10 things you may or may not know about Kevin in honor of the 10 years I have known him:
- Kevin and I met when we were Juniors in High School (see picture above).
- He is always there to help anybody and everybody whenever he can.
- He did a juice fast last August for 60 days and lost 60 pounds!
- He has a screw in his foot from when he broke it in college at a track and field meet.
- He is very competitive (just ask Jon).
- In the CFI games, scaled division he placed 3rd!
- Double Unders have nothing on him, and he could probably do them in his sleep.
- He likes guns and to go target shooting.
- He looks tough but has the biggest heart of anyone I have ever known.
- He is going to be the best Dad (We are expecting in June!)…yep- I just spilled the beans!
I don’t think there is anything he can’t do…he is just amazing! Happy Birthday! I love you!
In honor of Ruth’s birthday, here are a few fun facts collected from her Intrepid Fam that you may or may not know about her.
- Ruth is really a Trojan fan, otherwise she’d be driving a blue truck.
- It’s probably easier to make her cry than Cade.
- We have all seen pictures of Ruth’s knee cap, as in the bone.
- Prior to CrossFit, Ruth was amongst LA’s finest in blue working Vice as well as their Training Unit.
- Ruth is a Twinkie.
- Despite her Asian heritage, Ruth is terrible at math.
- She qualified for Nationals in Olympic Weight Lifting in 2011.
- Ruth not-so-secretly wants us all to join the babies club.
- Ruth overhead squats more than Sean.
- Ruth is an avid rock climber.
- She competed against Kris Clever in the 2009 SoCal CrossFit Regionals. She even scoped out (read: stalked) her competition.
- Ruth can be likened to a large jungle cat.
- Ruth loves all of her children equally, except Xuan, he’s her favorite.
- Ruth typically has no idea where Sean takes her for her birthday trips unless she snoops around laptops that were left open.
- She posted Facebook pictures of her engagement ring prior to announcing it, figuring nobody would notice.
- Ruth likes to play bad cop, but she really feels bad when she scolds you.
- Ruth has Intrepid tattooed on her lower back.
- Any time somebody gets a PR, Ruth feels the need to text about it.
- Cade is a lucky kid, Ruth is a great Mom (trust us, we know).
- Ruth still owes us all shooting lessons. She was considered a Distinguished Expert Shooter in her former profession.
- Sean was first attracted to Ruth’s glutes (yay squats).
- Ruth loves surfing but is terrified of the water.
- Ruth trained the martial art Kenpo for many years and made it to brown belt.
- Ruth used to ride a Triumph motorcycle. Although she sold it, she still has the matching leather jacket that went with the bike.
- Ruth is OCD about dirty dishes.
- Ruth programs all CrossFit Intrepid workouts.
- Ruth only cuts her hair once a year.
- Ruth loves La Croix sparkling water but is notorious for leaving half drank cans all over the gym.
- Ruth is quickly becoming a baby wearing expert.
- You know Ruth had a difficult workout when she’s on the floor and her shoes are off. You know it was really hard when her socks come off too.
- Ruth loves to travel and has visited locations on 4 continents.
- Ruth is an avid snowboarder. Her favorite place she’s snowboarded so far was A-Basin in Colorado.
- Ruth has a weakness for tiramisu from Buca DiBeppo.
- Even when you think Ruth can’t hear you, she really can.
- Even when you think Ruth can’t see you, she really can.
- Ruth was once a ‘dirty hippie’.
- Ruth believes in the Zombie Apocalypse and already has a tactical plan put together.
- Ruth is probably crying as she’s reading this list.
Happy Birthday Ruth! It is through your sacrifice, dedication, and courage that Intrepid exists. Your coaching comes second to none and we have all become better athletes because of you! It’s evident every time one of us visits another gym or when we compete and receive compliments on our great form. No matter how big or small, whether it is as a coach, a friend, a mentor, or Mom, you are a part of our lives and we thank you for giving us a “home”. Love you!
REST DAY 11.25.2012