Today’s post comes from Nathania’s beau Jonathan on the special occasion of her birthday.
I’d like to wish my beautiful girlfriend Nathania, who I’m crazy in love with a very happy birthday. She is among the most amazing people I have ever met. She is everything I could have ever wanted. To her crossfit family here are a few things you may not have known about Nathania.
1. If you have yet to figure out where she got that strong accent from here it goes:
Nathania was born in Santa Monica, moved to Argentina for 1 year at the age of 5, then lived in Rhode Island for 1 year before returning to her small town, San Marcos Sierras in Argentina. She only lived there until her 15th birthday since her heart was always set to return back to the States. Her life journey took her to West New York, NJ for 5 years then Miami for 6 years until the roll of a dice and a job offer brought her back to sunny California.
2. She was raised in a small town with only 600 people, thanks to that she was able to have all type of animals in her 3 acres home: horses, chickens, rabbits, hamsters, fishes, snake, dogs, cats, parrot a baby goat, that she coarse her mother to bring home, and a pony. Yes, she had a small zoo! The best part is that she designed a pool so she could have her favorite animal a dolphin right in her backyard unfortunately her mom didn’t agree to that one L.
3. As a teenager she wanted to be a veterinarian until she found out she had to put animals to sleep. A marine biologist would get her close to her favorite animal the dolphins. She did not like injustices so becoming a lawyer came to mind, to bad she hates to study! Same applied to becoming an occupational therapist. Her easier options were to be a makeup artist/hair stylist so she could express her creativity. Too bad for her that none of the above became her career or I would have not met her.
4. Her background is pretty mixed, 2 Italian grandparents, 1 Italian/German grandma, and 1 Argentinian grandpa which she totally adores, he is her favorite family member, when I mean “favorite” I mean she would try to kill anyone that talks bad about her Nonno. Thanks to being raised around all this mix she is fluent in English, Spanish and understands Italian. To my surprise she was able to communicate with her Italian Aunts without a problem on our trip to Europe.
5. She attributes her sign “Capricorn” to being a neat freak, OCD, and workaholic. I still wish I could find a way to crazy glue her to the sofa so we can watch a movie without her trying to clean one last thing.
6. She is the most friendly, caring and loving person (when she is in a good mood). Very straight forward, she loves you or hates you, no gray in between. If you become her friend she would want to keep you forever, meaning if 20 years pass by and she moves miles away she will still find a way to keep in touch with you and make that friendship last forever.
7. Growing up she was always active but had trouble keeping that active life back in the States before CFI. In middle school and high school her favorite classes were PT, Art, and Music. Notice none of them involved too much studying. She played the flute, Piano, and guitar. She took dance classes until the age of 14, that’s why she tries to tippy toe gracefully instead of performing an aggressive landing when she tries doing a clean and jerk.
8. On our first date I realized how much she pushes herself when she is determine to do something. I decided to take her on a 3 hour hike up Malibu that turned out to be an 8 hour hike after we got lost and run out of water. Tiered and thirsty when we made it to the main road we had exited way of from where we parked, so she had no better idea than to tell me let’s just run until we find the car. I thought she was crazy but it was amazing to see her determination.
9. On our second date we went on a bike ride out to Santa Monica. After the bike ride I also learned that she is a natural redhead and susceptible to major sun burnt even in a cloudy day. Lesson learned don’t forget to pack extra water and no matter what she says have sunscreen in hand always!
10. We used to spend hours talking about healthy eating and how she wished she had an active lifestyle again. She talked a lot about joining Crossfit but always postponed it. Once Nathania decided to enroll into CFI, she found not only the active lifestyle that she wanted but also a family of friends that she so desired to have. She now spends her free time after the gym talking about her every second in class.
11. As many of you know her favorite workout partner is Tami for 6 pm class, Ning at 12pm, and pair her up with any of the old timers for a team WOD and you will see her give it her all.
12. When she gets out of work after a 10/12/14/16 hour shift she first complains about how tired she is until she gets home takes a shower and 5 minutes later is texting that she is going to class because she swears that she cannot miss the lift of the day!
13. She loves challenges and friendly competitions; even though she goes through panic mode and assures that she cannot do it she always seems to prove herself wrong. Her first race without ever being a runner was Baker to Vegas, not an easy run in the dessert but dedicated to a close friend that died running. Then was Spartan Sprint, World famous mud run, Intrepid in house competition landing 2dn place!, Randy Challenge which she loved that she had a team, and in January 25th she is going for the Super Spartan.
14. Nathania has had many jobs, nanny, an architectural designer one summer, waterless cookware sales person, bartender for three years and what many don’t know is that she wears a gun and a badge to work every day.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOVE!!
Strongman Seminar: Here at Intrepid on Saturday, Jan 11th from 9am-12pm. Click here to sign up. Registration is $40 and the instructors will better familiarize participants with Strongman equipment like:
Each segment will begin with a discussion on technique and demo of these items, and then attendees will then get a chance to play with them. Since no CrossFit related event would be complete without a WOD of some sort, there will be a 5-7 minute workout at the end of the clinic, which I can safely assume will be testing out some of your newfound skills.
Weightlifting Competition: At CrossFit Code 3 in Torrance on Friday, Jan 31st starting at 7pm. Email or talk to Sean if interested. Registration is free and pizza and beer being provided by Code 3 following the event. Format will be nearly identical to the competition we held earlier this month.
Power Clean 3-3-3
Buy-In with 20 Pistols
Then 4 Rounds:
9 Deadlifts (60% of 1RM)
9 Strict Chin-ups