Today is Nick’s 26th birthday. Nick is a regular at the 7p class and works a lot of weekends, so he rarely makes it in on Saturdays. That being said, as much as CrossFit Intrepid has grown, many of the morning and afternoon people may not know Nick. Fortunately birthdays are a great excuse for a roast/fun facts post. Here are 26 things you may not know (or have wanted to know) about Nick:
1. Nick was an original member of Marcus’s powerlifting class, which included workouts like pushing his car up and down the alley.
2. He is very well travelled. His stepmom works as a flight attendant so up through college, he got to travel the world. One of the most interesting stories I’ve heard is his day long trip to Turkey and getting a Turkish bath.
3. He grew up near Boston and went to BU for college. He moved to California to work for SpaceX.
4. Nick thrives on data. He loves collecting data on everything he does in hopes of creating the best version of himself. He even has a pie chart showing on average how much time he devotes to particular tasks throughout his day.
5. Nick hates bees, he will freak out if he hears or sees one near him.
6. At the very first CrossFit competition Nick competed in, the intermediate men were put in the same heat as the advanced women. It was his first run in with CrossFit Games competitors such as Katie Hogan and Rebecca Voigt. Nothing is more humbling than lining up next to a few girls with larger quads and biceps then you and then going on to get crushed in the workout while they do the same weights as you. But how many average Joes can say they competed against the best in the world.
7. Nick was valedictorian of his Aerospace Engineering graduating class at Boston University
8. On one of his travelling adventures, Nick accidentally went swimming with jellyfish…fortunately he made it out mostly unscathed.
9. Nick is very good at negotiating. He was on a debate team and loves to practice arguing/negotiating with people.
10. Nick is very good at coming up with trademark names for products and a slogan to go along with it. For example, he made this frozen yogurt from pure frozen fruit with bananas as the base. Had we not discovered the “Yonanas” machine, he would have taken “Fronana” to the market, “Making dessert the healthiest part of your meal.”
11. He is a phenomenal cook and is excellent at food presentation. He’s even mastered the toss to flip your food while cooking in a skillet (just ask his mother about the state of her kitchen while he perfected that technique).
12. His most famous dance move is “spaghetti arms”
13. We met at SpaceX and fell in love while building and cleaning propellant tanks for the space capsule. I truly won him over when he learned of my exceptional Excel skills.
14. Nick is very OCD, all parts of his life are organized through plans and lists.
15. Nick started CrossFit by doing the main site workouts at Spectrum. Fortunately Jason found him and sent him over to Intrepid.
16. His favorite pair of shorts in college were orange and could be stuffed and zipped into the back pocket for convenient storage.
17. Nick was salutatorian of his high school
18. In his downtime/boredom, Nick learned how to beat box. He can even drum and beat box at the same time. He’d be happy to demo for you.
19. Nick was an ornery child. He once drug his baby sister on her blanket out to the trash can at the end of the driveway because he didn’t want her anymore and decided to throw her away. He would also tell his mom he ate the poisonous bark from a tree in his backyard just to keep her on her toes, “I don’t know mom, do you think I did???”
20. Nick has the best Marcus impression in the gym “Alright 7 o’clock!”
21. He became a manager at SpaceX at the age of 24.
22. Nick gets bored with activities pretty quickly. He’ll obsess over a topic/interest for no more than 3 months at a time, and then get bored, move on and hardly ever think about it again. I think CrossFit is the one thing he has stuck with…probably because the workouts change everyday.
23. Nick is almost as notorious as Jason for his bathroom habits, so much so that his friends bought him a Squatty Potty for Christmas.
24. His dream job is to be a singer and star in the sequel to Pitch Perfect.
25. If that didn’t pan out, he’d like to own a fishing boat with Brian in Hawaii and fish and do bench press all day, every day.
26. He wishes he was Jason Bourne. Sometimes I have to remind him he’s not…
While Nick does make it easy to poke fun from time to time, there is never a dull moment when Nick is in your life and it’s hard not to appreciate that. Nick, I am so grateful to have you in my life and I look forward to many more years of delicious meals and good times with you. Love you, BB!
Bench Press 3 x 5 or Wendler
Rest 2 min