Tom D.’s lovely wife Kelly was kind enough to write up the following heartfelt post for Tom’s birthday:
Happy 47th Birthday Tommy Davoren! I’m not sure how I missed sending in a birthday post last year for my wonderful husband, but given how much he enjoys reading ones sent in for so many of you (which I lovingly refer to as his “CrossFit Family”), I had to be sure not to miss this year…thank you Ruth!
Tom and I have been happily married for 22 years (yes, I was a child bride !). I never thought I would marry so young and while it may sound a bit cliche, I truly knew the very first time I met him that he would be my guy always. We dated for a year, then were engaged for a year, and then our life together truly began on 1/5/91 and we’ve never looked back. Our life together is filled with many blessings and lots of love and laughter.
Here are some things you might not know about Tom:
- He is number 6 of 8 children (Irish, Catholic…and a Notre Dame fan from birth…his dad watched Notre Dame beat Michigan State while his mom brought him into this world!). He is a “California Native.”
- Tom has a passion for football (too bad he wasn’t born a bit taller!). He coached high school football for 14 years. One of his years as a head coach for Bishop Amat HS freshman, they not only went undefeated but not even scored against!!! A few of those players went on to play college ball and one even made it to the NFL! He patiently awaited many a player interview where one of them might thank him by name! Just kidding!
- He initially was on course to be a High School English teacher, but instead followed his father and siblings into law enforcement (5 out of the 8 kids became LA County Sheriff Deputies!). I didn’t realize it back then, but being a police officer is a true calling for Tom and what he is meant to be doing in the world. Now for a little bragging… He has worked on three departments (LASD; Overland Park PD in Kansas, and LAPD). During his time at each department he achieved things most officers don’t achieve in a lifetime of police work at one department. Of particular note are the three medals of valor he has received, one from each department. Each for the valorous actions he took to save the lives of others in the line of duty (officers and citizens alike). Finishing-up his law enforcement career being part of LAPD Bomb K-9 (“some of the best partners I have ever had”…many past partners gave him a hard time for that comment following his CBS News interview!) and now Bomb Squad makes for a pretty amazing journey. I couldn’t be more proud of him!
- He is a “snappy dancer”, despite not really being able to hear the beat! It might have started with our ballroom dance class in preparation for our wedding (what a good guy, huh?) but it has continued throughout our life together. Tom has won several “Twist” contests!!!
- We love to travel and experience the world together (Ireland, Great Britain, France, Italy, Spain, China, Japan, and most recently Croatia and Slovenia to name a few). Someday we will complete our Rosetta Stone “Speaking Italian” and really go far!
- We get “remarried” every 5 years in different circumstances and places just to keep that newlywed feel going! The most adventurous was on our 15th where we said “I do, again” just before jumping out of a plane over the North Shore of Oahu!
- Tom is a closet Karaoke fanatic…one of his favorites is “I’m too sexy for my…on the cat walk” (can’t recall the exact name, but it is hilarious to watch…he can be quite the showman!)
- He has always worked to stay physically fit for both his personal safety as an officer and overall well-being. His experience at Intrepid, however, seems to have tapped into his commitment to fitness at a level I don’t recall him having before. I believe that it has to do with the camaraderie and healthy competition you all instill in him. Thank you for your friendship my husband and for being such an important part of his life!
Happy Birthday Sweetheart!
With all my love,
35 Ring Push Ups (sub 35 Push Ups)
35 Ball Slams