Today’s post comes from my favorite cook, Nick.
In my rapid search for entertaining breakfast ideas, I stumbled on a quick and filling recipe from Lifehacker (link here).
1-2 avocados (depends on who is eating)
2-4 eggs (depends on how many avocados)
2 pieces of bacon (pre-cooked and crumbled, I throw them in the microwave to save time)
Good cheese (I use TJ’s 4 cheese blend)
Cayenne pepper, tarragon, salt, whatever seasoning you like on your eggs
A cast iron pan if you have one, if not, a deep baking sheet (a loaf pan will work)
1) Pre-heat the oven with your cast iron pan in it to 425F.
2) Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop a little extra out to leave more room for the egg (obviously eat the avocado you scooped out). Cut a small flat on the bottom of each avocado half too, this will allow it to stay upright in the pan.
3) Crack the egg and add it to the center hole you removed from the avocado. Mine kept overflowing (it gets messy), so I would recommend just using the yolk to save some space and prevent spilling.
4) Sprinkle bacon, cheese, and seasonings on the egg.
5) Remove the pan from the oven (watch out, it’s hot!). Place your now filled avocados on the pan. Put the pan back in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes based on how you like your egg.
6) Remove, eat, and wish you made more like me.
Tips: Don’t overfill the avocado, makes a mess. Don’t touch the pan. Use good, preservative free bacon. Use lots of bacon. Try scrambling the egg before putting it in the avocado too.
Have a great Sunday!
Rest Day 04.29.2012