photo courtesy of Mark’s Daily Apple
With summer in full swing, I always find myself craving cold, refreshing salads. Mark’s Daily Apple posted a great recipe turning a popular Vietnamese sandwich into a salad. The flavors are a medley of “sweet, savory, tangy and sometimes spicy blend of meat, raw vegetables and herbs.” While it’s a little prep intensive at first (it helps to have a mandolin), the results are well worth the effort.
- 1 pound of pork loin, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (found in the Asian section of grocery stores)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups grated cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 to 2 cups thinly sliced or chopped cucumber
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Handful of mint and cilantro leaves, torn into pieces
- Optional: jalapeno and radish, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar (fresh lime juice can be substituted)
See the original post for the instructions.
Back Squat 3×5