Week 2 of the CrossFit Games Open and Dave Castro doesn’t disappoint with his wicked curve balls. The structure is similar to the last Open Games WOD 13.5 where if you succeed in completing the last round, you earn additional time to go for more reps and rounds. The curve ball is that the reps increase with each round completed. Again, you have 2 elements: overhead squats and chest to bar pull-ups. The weight is light on the overhead squats and you have a built in rest period, if you finish the rounds before the 3 minute period is up.
A few notes:
-Each 3 minute section begins from the standing position with the barbell on the floor and the Athlete standing tall. The athlete can not have their hands on the bar until that start of the next 3 minute section.
-The hip crease must be below the top of the knee at the bottom of the squat.
– A full squat snatch is permitted, but not required to start the movement if standard depth is achieved.
– The barbell must come to full lockout overhead with the hips, knees, and arms fully extended, and the bar directly over the middle of the body. You may not use a rack.
– Standard chest-to-bar pull-up. Dead hang, kipping, or butterfly pull-ups are allowed. Arms must be fully extended at the bottom.
– At the top of the pull-up, the chest must clearly come into contact with the bar below the collarbone.
– The pull-up bar should be setup so it is at least 6 inches above the athlete’s head when standing tall.
Some tips for 14.2:
– Your grip will be a factor. Try to not death grip the bar during overhead squats to save your forearms for the pull-ups.
– Take some time to roll out your quads, lats, forearms, shoulders, and traps
– Find a comfortable pace to get through the overhead squats unbroken
– Make every rep count
– If you need pointers on chest-to-bar pull-ups, here’s a link to Carl Paoli’s gymnastics site where he provides tips from last year’s Open WOD 13.5.
Good luck Intrepids!
03.07.2014 Open WOD 14.2
Every 3 minutes for as long as possible complete:
2 rounds of:
2 rounds of:
2 rounds of :
Etc., following same pattern until you fail to complete both rounds
Optional Cash Out with Front Squats 3-3-3