In the 5th and final week of the CF Games Open, Dave Castro pit past and current reigning champions, male and female alike, against each other. Representing the women, were former Games champ Annie Thorisdottir and defending champ Sam Briggs. Representing the guys, were former champs Jason Khalipa and Graham Holmberg, and defending champ for the past 3 years, Rich Froning. It’s no wonder the best were saved for last – this is sure to be one grueling WOD. If you missed it last night, you can watch the champs perform 14.5 here. In this task priority WOD of light thrusters and bar facing burpees, there is NO time cap. Your finish time is your final score. The clock will not save you as you must complete all 168 reps.
A few notes
– The workout begins from the standing position with the barbell on the floor and the athlete standing tall. Your score will be the time it takes to complete all 168 repetitions. This workout ends when the feet land on the other side of the bar on the final rep.
– This is a standard barbell thruster in which the barbell moves from the bottom of a front squat to full lockout overhead. The bar starts on the ground. No racks allowed. The hip crease must pass below the knees. A full squat clean into the thruster is allowed if the bar is on the ground.
– The barbell must come to a full lockout overhead with the hips, knees and arms fully extended, and the bar directly over the body.
– Each burpee must be performed perpendicular to and facing the barbell. Your head cannot be over the barbell. The chest and thighs touch the ground at the bottom. You must jump over the barbell from both feet and land on both feet. One-footed jumping or stepping over is not permitted.
A few tips
– If you have a huge tank like Froning or Briggs, you might be able to get away with going fast out of the gate and holding on until the very end. For the other 99.99999999%, I’d suggest keeping a consistent pace throughout the WOD to make sure you get all the way through the WOD.
– Relax your grip during the thrusters. There’s no reason to death grip the bar.
– Push through the burpees and have fast transitions getting down to the floor and back up again. Try not to take so many steps when jumping over your bar.
– Roll out your quads, hammies, glutes, and shoulders
– Lastly, have fun guys! This is the last open WOD…until next year!
03.28.2014 CF Games Open WOD 14.5