To those of you who are participating in the nutrition challenge, I congratulate you for getting through the first day which included a dunk, a tough workout, and most probably a noticeably different routine when it came to food. For some of you, this ain’t your first rodeo, so you can skim on down to the WOD, if you haven’t already! To you newbs, the one thing that will get you through these next 29 days is PLANNING. If you’re a list-maker like me, this will come easy to you. If you like to fly by the seat of your pants, well, get ready to make an adjustment.
Here are some tips:
- Every day, when you leave the house, have a general plan for each meal and snack of the day. Be flexible, but don’t wing it.
- Stock your workplace with a spare meal or two (Brian’s Bowls!!) and some just in case snacks (Primal Pacs and Rx Bars). Stock your car with a few snacks as well.
- Yelp or google search the restaurants in your area and fine 2-3 “go-to’s” with Whole 30 friendly meals.
- Have some emergency go-to’s such as hard boiled eggs at 7-11, or rotisserie chicken at markets (read the labels though).
- Fill your weekends with activities. Weekends are hardest sometimes as we can equate them with kicking our feet up. Go sightseeing, go to a movie, plan a dinner with fellow nutrition challenge friends, etc. Stay busy and plan your day trips around W30 friendly restaurants.
- Make a picnic and bring it to the park/beach/Hollywood Bowl
- If you’re cooking in bulk for the week, exchange a meal (or two) with fellow participants to shake up your food selection and try new recipes.
- Read “It Starts With Food.” Not only will it keep you on the right track, it explains the reasoning behind the W30 so incredibly well. It’ll also help you explain what you are doing to your family/friends/co-workers so they can be supportive of you
- Bring a post-WOD snack to the gym and use the fridge/freezer. Just be sure not to forget it or it will end up in the trash (or my belly)
What do you think your major obstacles will be? Past years’ participants: what worked for you? Post to comments.
Bent Over Rows 5×3
15 Ball Slams
Row while your partner does ball slams. Switch.